Floor prepped, baseboards & walls masked, and it was finally time for the stain!
The directions suggested applying the stain with a power sprayer. I didn't feel like shelling out the cash to buy or rent a sprayer, so I tried something else. I had read in other DIY blogs that stain could be applied with rollers or brushes. I applied the 1st coat with a roller and this is what I came up with.
Not what I was going for!
A couple days later, I went for the 2nd coat. I took the manufacturer's advice and sprayed the stain on this time. Still not wanting to buy/rent a power sprayer, I just cleaned out an old spray bottle and used that. The stain was the consistency of water, so the spray bottle worked great. The process took a lot longer (and caused more hand cramps) than a power sprayer would have, but I saved myself $50-100.
It's hard to see the details of the stain unless you look closely, but I got the look I wanted to achieve. The spray bottle definitely did the trick.
High fives for not painting myself into a corner!