Tuesday, December 30, 2008

#4 - Donate My Hair


photo courtesy of sheknows.com

I have been letting my hair grow out for the past couple of years. I had been keeping it short for years. I loved it when it was short. It was always in some funky style and I loved being "the girl with the fun hair". I was so nervous to grow it out because I was afraid it would just end up looking like my middle school yearbook pictures - long, straight, and parted down the middle. No fun. So I decided to get some extensions to see if dealing with all the weird growth phases would be worth it. The extensions kinda grossed me out and I barely kept them in for 2 weeks, but I was convinced - Long hair was definitely what I wanted.

I wanted to be able to curl my hair and have movie star waves, but didn't think it would happen with my half-Asian, straight-as-could-be hair. Whenever I tried curling my hair, it would go flat after 10 minutes. I don't want to know how much of the ozone I depleted with all the hairspray I used. Seriously, how can AquaNet hold up a 3 foot bee-hive, and yet not hold my curls?! 

When my hair had grown long enough to curl (it was above my chin before), I was pleasantly surprised when the curl held! I guess that's what happens when you damage your hair; I went from all natural brunette to auburn and blonde highlights, back to brown, then to black, stripped the black (twice), tried dark brown which ended up looking red, then finally put enough brown in it to get close to my natural shade again... and that was all in my first 1 1/2 years of college. 

I've wanted to donate my hair ever since my cousin Eva's funeral.
I figure that not everyone is as brave as she was - Getting tattoos on your head and baring your bald head isn't for everyone! Hair is a big thing for girls. It's a big deal to me. But it's something that I can do to help someone else out. I'm hoping to donate sometime this spring or summer... my hair's not quite long enough for the 8 inch minimum requirement. Still want to be able to curl it after it's cut... and I don't think you can do that with 2 inch long hair!



No comments: