Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tossing Aside Monotony

I often find myself caught up in the hum-drum cycle of life.

Wake up. Work. Come home. Watch TV. Sleep.

I live for the weekends when I should be living for each day.

I have noticed this is the same kind of life most of my peers are experiencing as well. I am at a point in my life where there is much expected of me and if I do not fall into the same complacent lifestyle as everyone else, then there is something wrong with me. Gone are the days of irresponsibility and freedom from the 9 to 5. Two weeks paid vacation and retirement funds are what I am being conditioned to find important.

Eyebrows raise when I say I hate my job. "But you have it so well, " They all say. "You are making good money and you even get a company car!" My happiness can not be measured by free gas. I need to find my place in this world - where I am contributing something of value to society besides being the model citizen that pays taxes on time.

Although I would love to just quit my job and become a hippie, I am in touch with reality. There are bills to pay, food to buy, and no national health care means I have to have my own health insurance.

Somehow I have to get myself through this rut. There needs to be something to break up the monotony. Something to entertain my mind and keep myself always on the lookout. This is what I call "The List". Some may compare "The List" to a "Bucket List". Although it does have some similarities it serves a different purpose. I did not create...Scratch that - I am not creating the list (it is in a constant state of editing) with death on the forefront of my mind. Rather I am creating it with life as my focal point. The List is my way of injecting little bits of fun/accomplishment/value into an otherwise normal day. There are some superficial things on The List. Some go deep and have the potential to be life-altering. I am going to go at it one day at a time and see where it leads.

No comments: